(Laochenghuangmiao)is a major yet relatively
inactive, Taoist temple in Shanghai. It is located in
the area south of Yan'an Road on the Fangbang Zhong Road.
During the Ming Dynasty, Zhangshouyue, the head of Shanghai
County, dedicated a temple to the local city god. Since
then, the City God's Temple has been destroyed several
times and the current temple was built in 1926. During
the the war of resistance against Japanese invasion during
World War II, local merchants built a new City God's Temple
in the Foreign Concession (between Lianyun Road and West
Jinling Road). That area is now a highrise residence building.
The "former" temple is known as the Old City
God's Temple. The Old City God's Temple and the enclosed
Yuyuan Gardens are not only famous tourist sites but also
popular shopping attractions. There are boutiques, shops
selling local specialties, as well as large jewelry stores,
department stores and fabulous local snack restaurants
to be found here.